Sunday, May 6, 2012

Something More Positive: Meditation

Reading this blog, you may think I am an angry soul. In fact, not really. A few years ago, certainly! I was one of the angriest people I've dealt with (Heh.. you know what I mean.) A few years ago I was so swamped with feelings of rage and hopelessness and hatred, I actually drove myself to a state of hallucination. Thankfully it only lasted about 20 minutes, it wasn't pleasant.

Since, I've come across meditation, and having my son (Aedric, who is now 4 months old <3) has fundamentally changed me, my views, my life.  More than the waking up at night to feed him part.

There has been quite a bit of research done on meditation. Here is a link to wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

Meditation has been proven to affect many, many things throughout the body, from metabolism to heart rate, biochemicals and stress level, blood pressure and mood.

Thoughts have power. Choose the thoughts you wish to grant power.  When John Lennon was murdered, Yoko Ono asked for people to just silently pray for 10 minutes.  When you experience it, you know how true it is. 

There are many ways to meditate. The "count down from ten and step into a pool/walk up stairs" thing never fit me very well. I get mine when I write, or read, or just take a few minutes to sit out side and... be. I allow myself to stop thinking about things like Aedric crying, or something Jason has done recently to annoy me. I don't think about the stress and frustration I feel toward our society and its ills. I just let it go, and try to take in the order and chaos of the universe.

Here goes trying something new. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment