Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The System is beyond broken

Yes, I use System capitalized, because by this time it basically does have a mind of its own. A terrifying thought indeed. Allow me to explain my thoughts before you respond, please.  I've heard every single person I have ever met and held a medium, and sometimes even vague five minute conversation with, use the term system as a thing, something omnipotent and far beyond our control.

Sadly and terrifyingly, in some ways this is very true.  It's not because the system really DOES have some huge tall skinny white guy named Uncle Sam behind it, the thing that's really scary is that it has done so on its own, with slight help from the people who have the capability to change even small rules and regulations.

The example I'll be using is the homeless youth system of shelters and day programs etc. I live in Portland, Oregon.  I'm an observer of such things as human behavior patterns, systems that work and are broken and are all interwoven, and society in general.

Where to begin... That's always the problem with me. By the time I get to typing about it I'm already so annoyed that I don't even know where to start. My fury drives me on. I will however try my best to describe.  I see things as images half the time in my mind, and the system is like a huge conglomerate puzzle-like factory that has been blown up, shattered, and pieced back together in a very fragmented and jumbled way that still has pieces inside moving so badly that even common passersby know it doesn't work.

But it's scary to even contemplate fixing it because the general problem is you have NO CLUE where to start. We are raised in this society to believe two things that are polar against each other- That our voice and our vote matters, and that in reality we are only one vote. That vote doesn't matter against the majority.

I won't coddle you or pet you with a feather, it's true.  The system is broken, and there's not much you can do to fix it. Quite honestly, in my observation, given its current status, and this does sadden me, I don't think it CAN be saved. I believe this is one of those times where you have to destroy something for it to be fixed because you have to start from the ground up. And no, I don't have any plans to destroy it.  I don't think I will need to, but that's another story for either later today or perhaps tomorrow...

Right now I'm going to get personal.  Honestly, I have social anxiety disorder. Pills are not nor will they ever be the answer- yet again, another topic. My brain likes to go on tangents, I'm trying to keep it in check. Having social anxiety disorder, and being a deeper thinker than everyone you're around 24 hours a day 7 days a week is extremely frustrating in the long run. I pride myself on my self control. I truly do. If it wasn't for my sheer ability to keep my anger in, I probably would have hit someone before now out of pure frustration.

The system is broken.  I can understand the logic at the core, how it should work, but it's been broken by people abusing it. It's tragic, but true.  The system is broken because the people are broken, and more people are breaking because the broken system is rolling right over them, leaving shrapnel in their back.

I guess I will start from the beginning of my story(ish).  My third day out here, I met a very interesting guy who had seen me several times in two days. I say interesting because he must have had 30 piercings and tattoos on his face, was very tall and skinny, obviously a drug addict, and apparently seemed protective of me. He was very intoxicated and in retrospect probably higher than some clouds, and was insistent to a girl he knew that "I GET SOMEWHERE SAFE!"

I'm 5'4 and 120 lb. It was very sweet, if slightly disturbing at the time.  The girl was a pretty cool girl I've only seen twice since. She's probably long left Portland. She brought me to Porchlight. Ahh, Porchlight..

That's what got me started to where I am now. I found out that there was an emergency crisis center, and she brought me there and made sure I'd get up that night. I got upstairs, met my best friend who I had seen earlier in the day, and the next morning talked to one of the people who ran the place at 9 the next morning about my situation.

Porchlight is the crappier version of Streetlight, where I am staying now. In Porchlight you have a couple more freedoms- you can come in up until 6 am or leave when you arrive after eating without using any credits, and you only have 15 nights you are allowed to stay there.

Talking to the guy, I found out that according to the law, I have been considered homeless or at risk for homelessness for approximately 3 years. So, I was eligible for the program that Porchlight was part of- the Janus Youth Continuum.

They sent me to OI and I was then confused. I waited for about a week or two for a caseworker and began to realize a few things. One, sleeping on those mats is basically the same as sleeping on concrete, two there are bugs, three, half the people there are addicts, convicts, or otherwise creepy people you should stay away from, and there is NO stability. Finally though a week later I got a caseworker and a week after that I managed to get on the streetlight list to get upstairs.

That is where I have been for the last 2 months. Upstairs of Porchlight. It's a more stable shelter where you can stay as long as you follow the rules, do their little chores, etc. There are slightly better mattresses, you can clean your clothes, you can go to the clothing closet once a week and you have a locker.

However, the people upstairs were also once in Porchlight, not all of them were interested in bettering themselves. Finding underwear on the floor, toilets not flushed, stuff in the bathroom and showers, and having really rude people sharing a room with you is something you have to get used to.

Now we get into more personal stuff. Getting back to the social anxiety disorder, I get fidgety in crowds in tight spaces. Understandable, the main problem is the noise. It's very chaotic. I grew up as an only child and my parents were either ignoring me or screaming at me/trying to convince me to do something they wanted me to. (Don't get me wrong, I love them now as much as I can.)  I never had my own room growing up, I grew up poor. Or rather when I was with my mom I had a room but there was no lock. No privacy.

Until this happened I had two jobs, I had an apartment, I had everything. Sure, it was a motel room, but it was MY place. But what happened was because of the social anxiety I was having a harder time at both jobs, and long story short now I need to find more data entry type work.

Now I am living in a bunk bed in a shared room with at least one other person with two bunk beds and 2 sets of lockers squeezed into it. No matter where I go in shelter, I am not allowed to leave, and there is no privacy. If you don't lock the bathroom door, even if your feet are obviously showing in the space between the door and the floor, people will try to open it because they are so self absorbed in their own little lives they don't think about it. They whine about having to wait three seconds for you to wipe and flush.  They are solely interested in themselves and most of the time not even in helping themselves out of the situation.

In some ways I do understand why. When life kicks you in the face enough times eventually you just expect it and give up. I don't know what you can do for those people, and it bothers me.

I've almost gotten to that point myself, because I feel trapped and confused. Everywhere you hear "GET A JOB and get out of there then!"  Like it's so simple as just walking into a place and coming out with a job in this economy.  Like it's simple to do when you have to struggle to find decent interview clothes and have to share one iron with 60 people.

I can't concentrate anymore, unless I have a computer in front of me. I have a panic attack every day, sometimes as many as six and unless I get a job I can't get into trans housing, but if I get a job I won't really need trans housing because I can get a place. What I need is stability, a door on a room that I can shut the world out with to be able to get and maintain a job without having breakdowns. I don't like it. And I have an idea of what to do..

But basically the way the system works is the system won't help you if you don't help yourself, but you're nothing but a number, an expected normality that is believed to be the same as everyone else. The whole thing stinks, and I don't know what to do about it.


My patience for people is at an end, because dealing with the number of homeless youth I see every day, my "peers" in the eyes of Janus, is like having a 24/7 customer service job. And I'm already burned out on it.. I have to leave the day programs right after eating or else a panic attack comes on or I start flipping out at people for being stupid, rude, and immature to each other. I have ended up pacing back and forth across the floor while listening to Korn on my mp3 player from the days of money to avoid punching idiots at shelter. The only thing that helps is this blog, and that's not even a stable commodity. All I can say is FFFFF.

1 comment:

  1. Typically, I answer statements such as those made here with rebuttal. But, truth be told, I don't really have a rebuttal, at least not without denying at least one of the facts that I know to be true.

    The system IS broken. Our legislature has divided itself across party lines and filibustered itself into total stagnation, and is in no way willing to make room for any sort of third party or option to be heard. The federal bureaucracy is bloated and inefficient, and kept so deliberately to maintain the status quo in regards to taxes and wages. The military and industry related to the military command a chunk of federal spending that is so high that is causing other public works programs to wither out financially. Wall Street bankers are allowed to gamble and lose several trillions of other people's money and be rewarded for their recklessness and greed with a huge government handout drawn from the tax pool of the people whose money they've already thrown away. Our courts are bogged with insanely frivolous lawsuits, to a point where they too are nigh-useless. Our prisons are overcrowded, largely in part due to laws that are designed to serve special interests over social justice. Our public education system is a joke, both in performance, and in the fact that outright lies about science, history, politics, economics, religion, and sexuality are taught to us and our children at the behest of groups who have neither business inserting their incredible garbage into curricula nor the interest of our nation's future in mind upon making demands and rabble rousing. What little welfare support we offer is too little to make a dent, with its staff being understaffed and overworked, and provides no means of socioeconomic mobility as intended. Insurance companies are scamming people for huge profit, pharmaceutical companies are scamming people for even bigger profit and contributing to the massive healthcare crisis going on at the same time. And I'm not even going to touch upon the media. Yes, the system is broken. What was intended to be some sort of egalitarian free society built on rationality, diligence, and necessity has somehow been built into a Randian/Objectivist, xenophobic, socially alienating, nasty, brutish, and everlasting clusterfuck of lunacy, empty tradition, hypocrisy, paranoia and ignorance. I don't quite know how we got this way either.

    So, to go back to my point, I really don't have a rebuttal, as I do see that the system is broken, and I have no idea exactly what can be immediately done to remedy the situation in even the shortest bit of the short-term. It seems (at least from the vantage point of jaded cynical old liberals such as myself) that so long as a certain degree of the status quo is maintained somehow that our society will see change as either counterproductive, morally reprehensible, or perhaps even dangerous. Granted, social progress (well, if such a thing truly exists, as at this point its existence is as debatable as the existence of divine beings) is a thing that happens slowly, but it often does seem that there is always this big chunk (whether they represent the majority or some group off in the fringe is irrelevant for this particular point) of our society that just wants a certain amount of social inequity to be at place, whether it be on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. I like to think that we can collectively change this over time. I at the very least hope such a thing is possible. But, given history (especially recent history), it looks unlikely that such things will even begin to start in my own lifetime. Or perhaps even in my grandchildren's lifetime. And yet strangely, I can't help but at least want to make as large I dent I can in what I think to be the problem to be. Ah well, perhaps I just can't stop believing in humanity's potential.

    ReplyDelete